Welcome to Device Research Laboratory at UCLA’s Electrical Engineering Department
Under the directorship of Prof. Kang L. Wang, Raytheon Chair Professor of Physical Science and Electronics, DRL’s Mission is to investigate new ideas and to develop innovative methods that will continue to push the frontier and shape the future of nanoelectronics and information processing platforms. Our group pursues frontier research in the fields of nanoelectronics and nanoarchitectures, spintronics and nanomagnetics; nanoscale science, devices and quantum systems; nonvolatile electronics and low dissipation devices; molecular beam epitaxy; optoelectronics and solar cells.
- Dr. Koichi Murata has joined the DRL group as a visiting scholar. He joins us from the University of Tsukuba, Japan.
- DRL welcomes visiting scholars Ma Zhu, Justin Xu, Dr. Toshi Kawaharamura, and Dr. Hong-Suk Kim:
Ma Zhu is a PhD student from the State Key Laboratory of Electronic Thin Film& Integrated Devices at University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC).
Justin Xu joins us from The University of Queensland, Australia. His area of research relates to the use extensive electron microscopy to study the growth of III-V epitaxial semiconductor nanowires in metal-organic chemical vapor deposition systems.
Dr. Toshi Kawaharamura is a lecturer from the Institute for Nanotechnology at the Kochi University of Technology, Japan.
Dr. Hong-Suk Kim joins us from Samsung Electronics, Korea.
- UCLA researchers capture wasted heat, use it to power devices
- DRL PhD students Pramey Upadhyaya and Juan Alzate are awarded the Qualcomm Innovation Fellowship 2013
- Research team develops new compact and energy-efficient nanoscale microwave oscillators
- EE Times highlights DRL research on voltage-controlled Magnetoelectric RAM (MeRAM)
- UCLA engineers develop new energy-efficient computer memory using magnetic materials
- Zeng, C., Song, E.B., Wang, M., Lee, S., Torres, C.M.Jr., Tang, J., Weiller, B.H., and Wang, K.L., Vertical Graphene-Base Hot-Electron Transistor, Nano Letters. (Online May 14, 2013)
- Dorrance, R., Alzate, J.G., Cherepov, S.S., Upadhyaya, P., Krivorotov, I.N., Katine, J.A., Langer, J., Wang, K.L., Khalili Amiri, P., and Markovic, D., Diode-MTJ Crossbar Memory Cell Using Voltage-Induced Unipolar Switching for High-Density MRAM, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 34 (6): 753-755. (May 3, 2013)
- Jiang, W., Upadhyaya, P., Fan, Y., Zhao, J., Wang, M., Chang, L.-T., Lang, M., Wong, K.L., Lewis, M., Lin, Y.-T., Tang, J., Cherepov, S., Zhou, X., Tserkovnyak, Y., Schwartz, R.N., and Wang, K.L., Direct Imaging of Thermally Driven Domain Wall Motion in Magnetic Insulators, Physical Review Letters, 110 (17):177202/1-5. (April 22, 2013)
- Zeng, Z., Finocchio, G., Zhang, B., Khalili Amiri, P., Katine, J.A., Krivorotov, I.N., Huai, Y., Langer, J., Azzerboni, B., Wang, K.L., and Jiang, H., Ultralow-Current-Density and Bias-Field-Free Spin-Tranfer Nano-Oscillator, Scientific Reports, 3:1-5. (March 12, 2013)
- Lee, S., Lee, Y., Song, E.B., Wang, K.L., and Hiramoto, T., Gate-Tunable Selective Operation of Single Electron/Hole Transistor Modes in a Silicon Single Quantum Dot at Room Temperature, Applied Physics Letters, 102 (8): 083504/1-4. (February 25, 2013)
- He, L., Kou, X., and Wang, K.L., Review of 3D Topological Insulator Thin-Film Growth by Molecular Beam Epitaxy and Potential Applications, Physica Status Solidi, 7(1-2): 50-63. (January 31, 2013)
- Wang, K.L., Alzate, J.G., Khalili Amiri, P., Low-Power Non-Volatile Spintronic Memory: STT-RAM and Beyond, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 46 (7): 074003/1-10. (January 31, 2013)
- Jiang, W., Fan, Y., Upadhyaya, P., Lang, M., Wang, M., Chang, L.-T., Wong, K.L., Tang, J., Lewis, M., Zhao, J., He, L., Kou, X., Zeng, C., Zhou, X.Z., Schwartz, R.N., and Wang, K.L., Mapping the Domain Wall Pinning Profile by Stochastic Imaging Reconstruction, Physical Review B, 87 (1): 014427/1-7. (January 25, 2013)
- Xu, K., Zeng, C., Zhang, Q., Yan, R., Ye, P., Wang, K., Seabaugh, A.C., Xing, H.G., Suehle, J.S., Richter, C.A., Gundlach, D.J., and Nguyen, N.V., Direct Measurement of Dirac Point Energy at the Graphene/Oxide Interface, Nano Letters, 13 (1): 131-136. (January 9, 2013)
- Khalili Amiri, P., Upadhyaya, P., Alzate, J.G., and Wang, K.L., Electric-Field-Induced Thermally Assisted Switching of Monodomain Magnetic Bits, Journal of Applied Physics, 113(1): 013912/1-5. (January 7, 2013)
- Chang, L.-T., Han, W., Zhou, Y., Tang, J., Fischer, I.A., Oehme, M., Schulze, J., Kawakami, R.K., and Wang, K.L., Comparison of Spin Lifetimes in n-Ge Characterized Between Three-Terminal and Four-Terminal Nonlocal Hanle Measurements, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 28(1): 015018/1-7. (January 2013)