Welcome to Device Research Laboratory at UCLA’s Electrical Engineering Department
Under the directorship of Prof. Kang L. Wang, Raytheon Chair Professor of Physical Science and Electronics, DRL’s Mission is to investigate new ideas and to develop innovative methods that will continue to push the frontier and shape the future of nanoelectronics and information processing platforms. Our group pursues frontier research in the fields of nanoelectronics and nanoarchitectures, spintronics and nanomagnetics; nanoscale science, devices and quantum systems; nonvolatile electronics and low dissipation devices; molecular beam epitaxy; optoelectronics and solar cells.
- July 7, 2014: DRL work on magnetic-field-free switching of spin-orbit torque devices has been highlighted in Nature Nanotechnology – News and Views
- July 3, 2014: Hiroaki Ishizaka of the Japan Patent Office has joined DRL as a Visiting Scholar.
- June 18, 2014: Dr. Liang He has left DRL to join Nanjing University as a Professor.
- June 5, 2014: DRL researchers create nanoscale structure for computer chips that could yield higher-performance memory
- May 19, 2014: DRL member Juan Alzate has received the 2014 Intermag Best Student Presentation Award from the IEEE Magnetics Society.
- May 16, 2014: DRL alumn Mirko Poljak has been awarded the Vera Johanides Award for Best Young Scientist by the Croatian Academy of Engineering for research achievements in the last 5 years.
- May 14, 2014: DRL develops magnetic topological insulators that are 1,000 times more energy-efficient for switching
- March 10, 2014: Juan Alzate has been selected as one of the five finalists for the Best Student Presentation Award of Intermag 2014.
- March 6, 2014: DRL team demonstrates low-power electric-field-induced spin wave generation using multiferroic devices.
- February 19, 2014: DRL welcomes visiting researchers Prof. Kui-Qing Peng from the Beijing Normal University, Idris Candan from the Middle East Technical University, and Po-Hao Tseng from the National Taiwan University.
- Jan 10, 2014: DRL alumn Caifu Zeng has joined SanDisk as a Senior Device Engineer.
- Jan 3, 2014: We welcome Visiting Scholars Prof. Minghua Li and Prof. Junjie Qi to DRL. Both Prof. Li and Prof. Qi join us from the University of Science and Technology Beijing.
- Jan 3, 2014: DRL alumnus Prof. Yong Wang of Zhejiang University was rewarded the 2013 Qiu Shi Outstanding Young Scholar Award from the Qiu Shi Science and Technology Foundation.
- Jan 2, 2014: The paper “Electric Field Induced Domain-Wall Dynamics: Depinning and Chirality Switching” has been selected as an Editors’ Suggestion in the December 2013 issue of Physical Review B.
- Dec 13, 2013: DRL contributes to undergraduate diversity education: During the Fall 2013 quarter four undergraduate students (Gabriella Bustamante, Luis Lino, Jared Aguayo and Alejandro Rioja) from underrepresented minorities joined the Device Research Laboratory as freshman students to carry a quarter-long project studying the feasibility of spintronics as an emerging technology for future memories in computation. The undergraduates are part of the Center for Excellence in Engineering and Diversity (CEED) in UCLA and are expected to follow majors in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
- Alaskar, Y., Arafin, S., Wickramaratne, D., Zurbuchen, M.A., He, L., McKay, J., Lin, Q., Goorsky, M.S., Lake, R.K., and Wang, K.L., “Towards Van der Waals Epitaxial Growth of GaAs on Si Using a Graphene Buffer Layer”, Advanced Functional Materials. (Accepted July 15, 2014)
- Lang, M., Montazeri, M., Onbasli, M. C., Kou, X., Fan, Y., Upadhyaya, P., Yao, K., Liu, F., Jiang, Y., Jiang, W., Wong, K. L., Yu, G., Tang, J., Nie, T., He, L., Schwartz, R. N., Wang, Y., Ross, C. A., and Wang, K. L., “Proximity Induced High-Temperature Magnetic Order in Topological Insulator- Ferrimagnetic Insulator Heterostructure”, Nano Letters. (May 20, 2014)
- Yu, G., Upadhyaya, P., Fan, Y., Alzate, J. G., Jiang, W., Wong, K.L., Takei, S., Bender, S. A., Chang, L. T., Jiang, Y., Lang, M., Tang, J., Wang, Y., Tserkovnyak, Y., Khalili Amiri, P., and Wang, K. L., “Switching of Perpendicular Magnetization by Spin-Orbit Torques in the Absence of External Magnetic Fields”, Nature Nanotechnology. (May 11, 2014)
- Fan, Y., Upadhyaya, P., Kou, X., Lang, M., Takei, S., Wang, Z., Tang, J., He, L., Chang, L.-T., Montazeri, M., Yu, G., Jiang, W., Nie, T., Schwartz, R.N., Tserkovnyak, Y., and Wang, K.L., “Magnetization Switching Through Giant Spin-Orbit Torque in a Magnetically Doped Topological Insulator Heterostructure”, Nature Materials. (April 28, 2014)
- Wang, S.-S., Ho, J.-J., Liou, J.-J., Ho, J.-S., Hsu, W.-C., Lu, W.-H., Tsai, S.-Y., Hung, H.-S., and Wang, K.L., “Performance Improvements of Selective Emitters by Laser Openings on Large-Area Multicrystalline Si Solar Cells”, International Journal of Photoenergy, 2014: Article ID 291904/1-8. (April 17, 2014)
- Yu, G., Upadhyaya, P., Wong, K. L., Jiang, W., Alzate, J. G., Tang, J., Amiri, P. K., and Wang, K. L., “Magnetization Switching Through Spin-Hall-Effect-Induced Chiral Domain Wall Propagation”, Physical Review B, 89 (10): 104421/1-6. (March 25, 2014)
- Ong, P. V., Kioussis, N., Amiri, P. K. ,Alzate, J. G., Wang, K. L., Carman, G. P., Hu, J., and Wu, R.,“Electric Field Control and Effect of Pd Capping on Magnetocrystalline Anisotropy in FePd Thin Films: A First-Principles Study”, Physical Review B, 89 (9): 094422/1-8. (March 24, 2014)
- Alzate, J. G., Amiri, P. K., Yu, G., Upadhyaya, P., Katine, J. A., Langer, J., Ocker, B., Krivorotov, I. N., and Wang, K. L.,“Temperature Dependence of the Voltage-Controlled Perpendicular Anisotropy in Nanoscale MgOlCoFeBlTa Magnetic Tunnel Junctions”, Applied Physics Letters, 104 (11): 112410/1-5. (March 19, 2014)
- Cherepov, S., Khalili Amiri, P., Alzate, J. G., Wong, K., Lewis, M., Upadhyaya, P., Nath, J., Bao, M., Bur, A., Wu, T., Carman, G. P., Khitun, A., and Wang, K. L.,“Electric-Field-Induced Spin Wave Generation Using Multiferroic Magnetoelectric Cells”, Applied Physics Letters, 104 (8): 082403/1-5. (February 25, 2014)
- Chang, L.-T., Wang, C.-Y., Tang, J., Nie, T., Jiang, W., Chu, C.-P., Arafin, S., He, L., Afsal, M., Chen, L.-J., and Wang, K.L.,“Electric-Field Control of Ferromagnetism in Mn-Doped ZnO Nanowires”, Nano Letters. (February 24, 2014)
- Chu, C., Arafin, S., Huang, G., Nie, T., Wang, K.L., Wang, Y., Zou, J., Qasim, S.M., and BenSaleh, M.S., “Selectively Grown GaAs Nanodisk on Si (100) by Molecular Beam Epitaxy”, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, 32 (2): 02C111: 1-7. (February 18, 2014)
- Zhang, J.-M., Ming, W., Huang, Z., Liu, G.-B., Kou, X., Fan, Y., Wang, K.L., and Yao, Y., “Stability, Electronics, and Magnetic Properties of the Magnetically Doped Topological Insulators Bi2Se3, Bi2Te3, and Sb2Te3”, Physical Review B, 88 (23): 235131: 1-9. (December 30, 2013)
- Upadhyaya, P., Dusad, R., Hoffman, S., Tserkovnyak, Y., Alzate, J.G., Amiri, P.K., and Wang, K.L., “Electric Field Induced Domain-Wall Dynamics: Depinning and Chirality Switching”, Selected as Editors’ Suggestion in Physical Review B, 88(22): 224422/1-6. (December 26, 2013)
- Chu, C., Arafin, S., Nie, T., Yao, K., Kou, X., He, L., Wang, C.-Y., Chen, S.-Y., Chen, L.-J., Qasim, S.M., BenSaleh, M.S., and Wang, K.L., “Nanoscale Growth of GaAs on Patterned Si (111) Substrates by Molecular Beam Epitaxy”, Crystal Growth and Design. (December 16, 2013)
- He, L., Kou, X., Lang, M., Choi, E.S., Jiang, Y., Nie, T., Jiang, W., Fan, Y., Wang, Y., Xiu, F., and Wang, K.L., “Evidence of the Two Surface States of (Bi0.53SB0.47)2Te3 Films Grown by Van der Waals Epitaxy”, Scientific Reports, 3: 3406/1-6. (December 3, 2013)
- Fischer, I.A., Gebauer, J., Rolseth, E., Winkel, P., Chang, L.-T., Wang, K.L., Surges, C., and Schulze, J., “Ferromagnetic Mn5Ge3C0.8 Contacts on Ge: Work Function and Specific Contact Resistivity”, Semiconductor Science and Technology, 28 (12): 125002/1-5. (October 24, 2013).
- Li, X., Yang, G, Torres, C.M., Zheng, D., and Wang, K.L., “A Class of Efficient Quantum Incrementer Gates for Quantum Circuit Synthesis”, International Journal of Modern Physics B. (Online October 17, 2013).
- Kou, X., Lang, M., Fan, Y., Jiang, Y., Nie, T., Zhang, J., Jiang, W., Wang, Y., Yao, Y., He, L., and Wang, K.L., “Interplay between Different Magnetisms in Cr-Doped Topological Insulators”, ACS Nano. (September 26, 2013)
- Kou, X., He, L., Lang, M., Fan, Y., Wong, K., Jiang, Y., Nie, T., Jiang, W., Upadhyaya, P., Xing, Z., Wang, Y., Xiu, F., Schwartz, R.N., and Wang, K.L., “Manipulating Surface–Related Ferromagnetism in Modulation-Doped Topological Insulators”, Nano Letters, 13 (10): 4587-4593. (September 10, 2013)
- Tang, J., Wang, C.-Y., Chang, L.-T., Fan, Y., Nie, T., Chan, M., Jiang, W., Chen, Y.-T., Yang, H.-J., Tuan, H.-Y., Chen, L.-J., and Wang, K.L, “Electrical Spin Injection and Detection in Mn5Ge3/Ge/Mn5Ge3 Nanowire Transistors”, Nano Letters. (Accepted August 12, 2013)
- Poljak, M., Suligoj, T., and Wang, K., “Influence of Substrate Type and Quality on Carrier Mobility in Graphene Nanoribbons”, Journal of Applied Physics, 114 (5): 053701/1-8. (August 1, 2013)